Tuesday, November 25, 2008

William Grant Still's 'Afro-American Symphony' was 'unlike any classical piece I have ever heard'

[Afro-American Symphony; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra; Karl Kruger, conductor; Bridge 9086 (1999)]

Review of Performance of Black Hills Symphony Orchestra
Dakota Discography
Nov. 24, 2008
Posted by: Ruth in What went down 
by Ruth Milne
“Leonard Bernstein’s lively Overture to Candide began Saturday’s Black Hills Symphony Orchestra performance, a 'Made in America' concert celebrating American-born composers that was conducted by Bruce Knowles. Quite unexpectedly, I instantly recognized the music to Candide; I had heard it many times while growing up, although I never knew the name of the piece and hadn’t heard it since. Like rediscovering a beloved childhood book, every note and phrase warmed me and I couldn’t stop smiling. My nostalgia combined with a really sharp performance by the symphony to create a wonderful experience.

For entirely different reasons, I also enjoyed William Grant Still’s bluesy, evocative Afro-American Symphony, which was unlike any classical piece I have ever heard. From the sassy trumpet solos to the gospel and jazz elements, the rhythms of African-American culture were drawn out and blended into a full symphonic experience, with both horns and flutes echoing a similar theme. The composer remained true to the structure and tradition of classical music, while imbuing it with a new soul. [Full Post] [William Grant Still (1895-1978) was an African American composer, arranger, conductor and oboist who is profiled at AfriClassical.com]

No comments: