Wednesday, March 28, 2012

'Have you ever come across images on Martin Luther King and/or Coretta Scott King playing violin?'




[Marta Richardson's Violin Class at Peeler Open School for the Performing Arts, Greensboro, North Carolina; Coretta Scott King discussing her career in vocal music.]

On Sept. 1, 2011 AfriClassical posted: “CMAC Project: 'All Black & Latino Chamber Orchestra Coming to Greensboro' Concert 7:30 PM, Oct. 7.” The post mentioned “Marta Richardson, Violin Teacher & CMAC Project Coordinator.” Today we received this email from her:

Bill, 
I hope you are doing well. You most likely don’t remember me, but you wrote in your blog about Sphinx Virtuosi coming to my school in Greensboro last fall.


"I’m presently working on making a timeline for my classroom and am using AfriClassical as a huge resource. In all your writing and research, have you ever come across images on Martin Luther King and/or Coretta Scott King playing violin? I would love to have these for my classroom. Dr. King, from what I understand, played as a child and Mrs. King studied voice and violin in college. These images would be so powerful to have for the classroom.

If you have any ideas of how I might find these, I would be most grateful.
Thank you for all you do,

Marta Richardson"
Violin Teacher

Peeler Open School for the Performing Arts
Greensboro, North Carolina



We have not seen a photo of either Martin Luther King, Jr. or Coretta Scott King playing a violin, but that does not mean no such image exists.  However, on March 20, 2012 AfriClassical posted a YouTube video (6:58) of Coretta Scott Kingdiscussing her career in vocal music King.  It was uploaded March 22, 2010:

"
Coretta Scott King: My Singing Career”

No comments: