Wednesday, April 17, 2013

UTSanDiego.com: 'Latonia Moore goes where her voice takes her; the reluctant, down-home soprano has emerged as a star.'

Latonia Moore (K. C. Alfred)

John Malveaux of www.MusicUNTOLD.com sends this link:


By James Chute 4 p.m. April 12, 2013

Verdi’s “Aida”
When: 7 p.m. April 20, April 23, 26; 2 p.m. April 28 (April 28 sold out)
Where: San Diego Opera at the San Diego Civic Theatre, 1100 Third Ave., downtown
Tickets: $45-$275
Phone: (619) 533-7000
Online: sdopera.com

Latonia Moore didn’t want to hear it.
“Why are you thinking you are a contralto or mezzo soprano,” Moore remembers her voice teacher asking her. “You are a lyric, full-out soprano.”

Moore, who comes from a family immersed in music, had been performing since she was a child. She knew she was an alto — even a second alto, the lowest alto of all.

“I immediately said, ‘That’s the end of this lesson,’ ” Moore said. “And I left and went back to my dorm room. I didn’t want any more lessons after that because I didn’t want to be a soprano.”

It was not just that the teacher had challenged her identity; Moore had certain preconceptions about sopranos that didn’t apply to her.

“I felt sopranos were whiny. ... They were always whining about something. ‘Oh God, oh God; woe is me, woe is me.’ But the mezzos, they had (substance); they had fire about them. They were the bad (rhymes with witches) and sopranos seemed like weak little things.”

It took Moore a week and a half to return to her voice lessons at University of North Texas and longer than that to accept her soprano status. But in roles like Verdi’s “Aida,” which she sang at the Metropolitan Opera last year and will sing with the San Diego in a Zandra Rhodes-designed production opening Saturday at the Civic Theatre, she’s found strong soprano characters she can relate to.

“When I got heavier into doing my repertoire, which is more Verdi, I saw that sopranos in fact do have (substance),” she said. “They’ve got the fire. Once I got rid of my ignorance about sopranos, I was ready to accept what I am.”

All that jazz

Sopranos may be the most misunderstood voice type, as there are sopranos and there are sopranos: from coloratura sopranos, who have the lightest and the highest voices and often end up dead and/or victimized by the opera’s end, to dramatic sopranos, who have the most weighty voices (and although they are typically also dead at the opera’s conclusion, at least it’s on their terms). Then there are the soprano voice types in between: soubrettes, spinto sopranos and lyric sopranos (which is where Moore fits in).

Some sopranos may tend to confuse their high-drama roles with their lives, but Moore sees fewer and fewer divas and prima donnas, especially among American singers. And she’s dedicated to leaving the drama on the stage.

“Some companies still want the diva, and I can kind of understand why they are attracted to that,” Moore said. “The women who are that way, they give off this kind of ethereal air.

“But that’s not really my personality. I’m from Houston, North Houston. We’re just down-home chicks. We’re just very playful, laid back, calm about things. If a hair is out of place, it’s all right; if the water’s not working, or I don’t get my Caesar dressing (she said, looking at the salad the opera company had brought her during a lunch break), I’ll live.”
  

No comments: